- Football is a funny game sometimes. When a team is on form everyone thinks the team will ride that form throughout the season but when it goes, it goes in a big way. Nine days ago all United had to do was beat Liverpool and the Premier League was pretty much won. Everyone knows how that turned out. A week later they face a Fulham team they have beaten twice within the last month or so. Easy win right? After all they won their previously two games against Fulham by a combined score of 7-0. While the story is Manchester United’s loss of form, full credit should go to Fulham who finally got it right the third time.
– While neither a good thing or bad thing I did find it refreshing how Paul Scholes just got up and walked off the field. No complaining, no moaning after his red card dismissal.
– Ferguson doesn’t miss a beat focusing on Rooney’s dismissal instead of United’s performance or title race. While he did mention all three his main focus was questioning Phil Dowd decision to send off Rooney.
– Wonder how many times United will need to hear the words 1998 and collapse over these next two weeks?
– Oh Ronaldo you scare me so. Your attitude on the field sucks. You can get away with it at United since there are so many leaders on that team but if you repeat that childish performance against Sweden next week I’m going to spend the summer of 2010 under a rock.
– Just a great win by Portsmouth against an in form Everton side. Portsmouth could of closed up shop and felt sorry for themselves after going down 1-0 thanks to an early Leighton Baines goal. The fact that they didn’t must give their fans some confidence heading into the final weeks of the season. Great overall performance, taking the game to Everton and getting their reward thanks to Peter Crouch’s two goals.
– Nothing fancy but I’m sure after going down a goal Blackburn will be happy with their point against West Ham.
– Middlesbrough is playing like a team that doesn’t fully realize the fact their are going to playing the likes of Doncaster and Blackpool next season. Time and time again they have given up late goals to cost themselves points. This weekend’s loss against Stoke thanks to a late Ryan Shawcross goal gave Stoke a massive 3 points in their quest to stay up next season.
– Where is all the talk now about how Drogba and Anelka where going to play well together? Scolari may not of been right about many things in his time at Chelsea but he was right in his opinion that Drogba and Anelka make great 4-5-1 strikers and just trip over themselves when playing up front together.
– Heurelho Gomes has been a shade above awful most of the season for Tottenham but his save against John Terry to tip his header out of play just simply top notch.
– While Liverpool being on the upswing will grab most of the headlines during the International break, Arsenal fans must be feeling pretty good about themselves as well. After a period where goals were hard to come by, Arsenal now look like their normal stuff where they can strike at any moment over the course of a game.
– Another team that doesn’t receive the credit they are due is Wigan. Was made aware of this weekend over the weekend but they top three players going into the season were Emile Heskey, Wilson Palacios and Antonio Valencia. Neither of them featured in yesterday’s 1-0 win against Hull to leap frog West Ham into 7th place on goal differential.
– Robinho should thank Micah Richards will letting him off the hook after his dreadful penalty miss against Sunderland.
– Villa fans must of had a feeling their fortunes were going to change when Ryan Shawcross completed a late comeback for Stoke against Aston Villa a couple of weeks ago. Villa haven’t been the same since that sucker punch.
– Gareth Barry sure looks like a player who is getting ready to pack his bags in the off season. When things aren’t going well you need your leaders to step up and lead the team. Quick frankly Barry isn’t doing that on the field with letting Albert Riera race by him on Liverpool’s second goal or off the field.
– Who knew a Yossi Benayoun header would turn around Liverpool’s season as it has? Enjoy another two weeks in the sun Liverpool fans. Must be fun watching a team clinch on all cylinders. Only bad part is with the International break this week hopefully their good form will continue when they get back.
For the Best Soccer Information on the Internet Please Visit Sinnacle